Friday, November 27, 2009

~ A Childhood Favorite~





Growing up my favorite book was and still is "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. I guess I could relate to growing up with three sisters, which by the way, we all saw ourselves as  Meg , Jo, Beth or Amy, one way or another.Louisa May Alcott really spoke to me in a way know other could. I was thinking awhile back on writing a post on this subject, after actually going to New England and seeing where Lousia May Alcott spent the last years of her life in Boston I was even more inspired. She grew up in Concord MA. at a beautiful home named Orchard House. My sister brought to my attention recently, that  in December on PBS they have a very exciting Documentary called The Woman Behind "Little Women"  from American Masters -  it tells about the life and amazing experiences of Louisa May Alcott, there is also a book under the same name by author Harriet Reisen. Louisa May Alcott was a women ahead of her time, not only was she a brillant writer, she wrote hundreds of works of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and she helped to support her family with her writings, she was a nurse in the civil war and was a strong beliver in antislavery, women's education and women's suffrage, very progressive for her time. She never married and after her sister May's death she adopted her daughter and supported and loved her until her death. She was also great friends with Our( Daniel and I) writing hero's, Ralph Waldo Emerson and  Henry David Thoreau. She  learned botany from Henry David Thoreau and for a time tutored Ellen Emerson, Ralph Waldo Emerson's daughter. She also associated with Nathaniel Hawthorne.



Louisa May Alcott is someone I so look up to, not only for her being so strong minded and courageous. But also her humor, charm,  talent , passion , and drive. Her strong love of family and her amazing creativity. She truly was and is an inspiration. 




Louisa May Alcott -Born  November 29, 1832 - Died  March 6, 1888

Louisa May Alcott Quotes -
  • I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
  • Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy.
  • If it were not for the blessed fact that everything has it's comic as well as tragic side, I should have lost my wits long ago.

American Masters -  The Women Behind Little Women -  December 28th on PBS. or go to the link above (PBS.org for more information on show listings.)


No comments:

Post a Comment